Age Grade Rugby
Player Centered Development Driven Competition Supported
Age Grade Rugby is based on the principles of being player centered, development driven and competition supported. The wants and needs of young people are at its heart. It puts player enjoyment above all else in order to keep more young people enjoying the game for longer and into their adult years. It ensures that every player from 6 -18 year old’s can enjoy rugby in a safe environment where they can develop their personal and social skills as well as a wide array of transferable multi-sports skills. This results in their holistic development as well as their lifelong involvement in rugby and other sports.
It is the role of the CRFU Youth & Education Committee to support the delivery of age grade rugby throughout Cornwall and so pledge to:
- Put children at the heart of everything we do and all the decisions we make.
- Encourage fun on the pitch, through equal opportunity and realistic expectations of our children.
- Build the skills of our adults to provide a safe, healthy, respectful and enjoyable environment for children.
- Develop children’s confidence and character as players and people.
- Champion rugby’s Core Values, inspiring a lifelong bond between children, adults and our sport.
The role of the CRFU Youth & Education Committee is to support the delivery of Age Grade rugby in Cornwall:
- Consider and take an informed view on changes, issues and developments that affects Age Grade rugby – including (but not limited to)
- Regulation 15 implementation and any changes
- The Half Game rule
- The role of competition in Age Grade rugby
- The RFUs Kids First approach
- Provide advice and guidance to Age Grade Sections on current issues and enduring themes.
- Ensure a strong communication flow from Club Age Grade Sections into the CRFU Youth Committee and then onto to all stakeholders, including (but not limited to):
- CRFU Management Committee
- Other CRFU Sector Committees
- Cornwall Rugby Referee Society
- CRFU Youth Discipline Panel
- Ensure strong communication from the RFU/ CRFU into Age Grade sections.
- Advocate best practice across Age Grade sections.
- Support the growth of the game and collaboration between clubs, schools and other bodies.
- Support the delivery of governance, safeguarding, competitions and discipline throughout Age Grade Rugby in Cornwall.
- Observe the core values of rugby – teamwork, respect, enjoyment, discipline and sportsmanship.
- Encourage coaches, parents and all adults (involved in the game) to be child centred.
- Encourage continuous development and upskilling of coaches.
- Encourage creation of the best possible environment for age grade rugby, so that everyone stays in the game longer.