Manager: Cozette Shrosbree
Call: 07840 457495
Safeguarding Children Training
The RFU is at the forefront of safeguarding young people participating in sport. The RFU Safeguarding Policy sets out key principles as well as providing best practice guides.
Safeguarding training is available for both Club Safeguarding Officers and for any coach or volunteer working with children.
Play It Safe Course
The Play it Safe Course is designed for club coaches and volunteers working with children. This is a three-hour course designed to:
- Identify best practices
- Identify signs and indicators of possible abuse and poor practice
- State action to take if there is a concern or disclosure
- Recognise their role in safeguarding and protecting children and vulnerable adults.
Local Play It Safe Courses can be found on GMS or your Club may wish to sponsor its own. In the latter case please contact either the Safeguarding Manager or RDO.
Cornwall RFU will offer a 50% subsidy on the cost of this course on completion.
In Touch Course
The In Touch Course can be attended by any club official, but is specifically targeted at Club Safeguarding Officers and Assistants. This is a free, 3 hour course designed to:
- Define and explain role and responsibility of an RFU Club Safeguarding Officer
- Identify the roles of club members and officers to promote best safeguarding practice
- Identify the best practice when recruiting in the club
- Apply the RFU Safeguarding Children & Vulnerable Adults in Rugby Policy and Guidance and Safeguarding Toolkit
- Manage concerns and disclosures
- Provide an opportunity to share best practice safeguarding practice
Courses are organised by the CRFU Safeguarding Manager.
Disclosure & Barring Service
The RFU provides Disclosure & Barring Service checks in relation to volunteers and those working in rugby.
However, effective safer recruitment processes go far wider than these checks (formally CRB checks) and involve how you recruit, induct, train and support volunteers.
The Referral Management Group, made up of representatives from across the RFU and external, expert advice, oversees the management of the Disclosure & Barring Service process.
The Safeguarding Compliance Officer also offers a helpline service.
The RFU operates an online E-DBS system accessed via GMS, which allows our volunteers and paid staff who work regularly with children to apply for a check through a 100% secure online site.
Safeguarding Case Management
The Safeguarding Case Officer provides a first point of contact for all issues around safeguarding. All referrals to the RFU will be dealt with speedily and appropriately.
Whenever you have any particular concern or issue involving safeguarding.
If you feel that the child is in immediate risk of abuse or harm then a statutory agency (local children’s services or the police) should be contacted immediately. An incident reporting form should be completed and forwarded to the below email, outlining the action you have taken with contact details of the statutory body you have contacted.
Tel: 020 8831 7479
Useful information link – www.rfu.com/safeguarding