New for 2019-20, the XGirl Cup is a short league competition for squads of 5-10 players across 5 festival-style fixtures, including a seeded knock-out finals day on the morning of a home Cornwall Ladies fixture, forming part of a wider Cornish Ladies and Girls Rugby celebration. U13s follow the same format but without the official competition as per RFU regulations.
The XGirl Cup games will be 7-a-side whenever possible, 5-a-side whenever necessary, and 10-a-side whenever squads allow and coaches agree. Each club will get at an hour’s rugby at each fixture across 4 x 15min matches, matches prioritised against similarly sized teams, and even with a squad of 10 playing a squad of 5 the Half Game Rule is satisfied.
The XGirl Cup format allows for:
- 5 guaranteed fixtures of meaningful rugby for all clubs.
- New exposure to short game formats especially XRugby, a variant of the 7s which is part of the county programme.
- Easier ability for more clubs to compete individually
- Simple for the smallest of clubs/age groups to join and compete too.
- Larger age groups may enter multiple teams
- Seeded knock-out finals means missing a league event isn’t terminal to a team’s participation, just harmful to their seeding.
- Exposure to representative womens rugby and more support for the Cornwall Ladies, especially girls supporting former teammates
For the latest XGirl Cup results and tables, like and follow Cornwall Girls Rugby.
For XRugby laws, click here.
For 2021-22 XGirl Cup Regulations, click here to download the .doc.
Season 2021-22 Fixtures
Competition: (all KO 1:30)
XGirl Cup Stage 1 @ St. Austell: 24th Oct XGirl Cup Stage 2 @ Launceston: 28th Nov XGirl Cup Stage 3 @ Camborne: 16th Jan
XGirl Cup Stage 4 @ Truro: 27th Feb
XGirl Cup Finals @ TBC: 24th Apr
XGirl Cup Standings after Stage 2